Tuesday 4 December 2012

A tale of 3 Thanksgivings

Elaine giving a speech at Una's potluck Thanksgiving

  
So it's been a busy month Thanksgiving-wise.  First off Erica and I had our gaydate for Canadian thanksgiving - the Tofurkey at Buy The Book in downtown Daegu (check the map in the Daegu Compass).  Sandy really cooked up a feast with a pile of veg and gravy.  Got kinda dressed up for it, it was a Thursday so I feel it was justified, especially when I found I could make it into a weird animation.  Enjoy.  

Second was American thanksgiving, went out on the Thursday with the Hagwon people from down the road.  Just went to 서래 on Thursday Party street for galbi.  I know it's a chain but they're average price and good meat.  Despite being another Thursday we ended up going through some soju and beer with dinner - somehow found myself sat with a guy who's managed to be fired from his last few jobs but is the best employee eva..  Ditched him and went to a beer bar on restaurant alley (not far from Jeep) - late night.


Lastly, on Sunday Una decided to host a potluck party, there were a bunch of fun people, bumped into a few people I already knew but didn't know would be there.  Una (and Elaine) really went all out and everyone bought a dish or two.  A few of the highlights included my potato salad, the bobotie, milk tart and my staple Mulled Wine (recipe at the end).  There was so much food that a few dishes were forgotten in the fridge!  The mulled wine went down a treat and everyone ate until they felt sick (which I believe is the point of Thanksgiving, right?).  It inspired me now I've got a flatmate (and hungry friend down the road too) who I can feed anything I cook before it goes bad.  Anyway, my bf Matt taught about what happened with the Native Americans and early settlers, I'll leave you with a page from the book:



Mulled wine recipe:
    If your mulled wine is not delicious, try adding more alcohol directly to your mouth





  • A lot of wine (Homeplus/Emart do 1.5l sangria bottles, the 1750W bottles of Jinro wine from your local corner shop will do).
  • Chopped fruit (apples, bananas, oranges)
  • Orange Juice
  • Spices (I've got some packs from home, throw in anything you have like vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc)
Directions: toss it all in together, heat but don't boil, enjoy!


PS. Gonna be trying out some new recipes.  Foreign ingredients can be really expensive if not impossible to buy (not to mention I've only got a small oven).  Any ideas, give me a shout

No comments:

Post a Comment