Tuesday 18 December 2012

Election Dancing / Politics / 21st Century Nuns

I'm a sucker for kpop.  I know its terrible, but the weird English bits never fail to amuse me (see Fantastic Baby here).  I'm also a sucker for dancing in the rain and strange old guys who no longer give a damn.  So when I was heading out to the Dongdaegu KTX station to catch my train up to Seoul I was pretty pleased to see this.  So I'm not really sure about the old guy at the front of the video, he seemed to have had imbibed a little of the old soju but those lovely ladies in front of the giant sign were dancing to raise awareness of "Candidate No. 1" also known as Park Geun-Hye (박근혜) 
She has quite the family back story - her dad was a military dictator during the 70s and while he was partly responsible for kickstarting Korea's economic success, he was also responsible for numerous human rights abuses which his daughter has since had to apologize for during her election campaign. Her mom was assassinated in the Theater by North Korea after that her dad was killed by his military general.  I bet the worst thing that ever happened to David Cameron was that time the Eton Starbucks messed up his low-fat frappamochachino. This isn't the first time I've seen dancing (although it was perhaps the best choreographed  and it is far flung from the usual images of Korean parliament - the politicians themselves occasionally resort to fighting and blockades if they think that an  important vote will not go their way.  

This seems to go hand in hand with the fact that Korea has about 12 000 protests a year (1999 figures), including pro-prostitution, ripping apart piglets, bees, throwing shit, dogs heads..  There were even protests here after a Korean woman lost in fencing at the London 2012 Olympics (and there is now a saying that "a lot can happen in a London minute") I honestly feel worse about the animal cruelty shown by the protesters and really have no problem with politicians beating each other up - if I vote someone into government I want them to live up to their campaign promises, or if not, at least get a black eye and bruised testicle trying.  I'm also a sucker for any politician who will explain their policies to me through the medium of interpretive dance (try that one next year Labour!)

Lastly on my trip, I saw a nun on the subway.  It really drove home to me that this is the 21st century when I saw she was on fb on her smartphone!  Presumably she follows the pope on twitter too! (WARNING: Pope talks BS)

No comments:

Post a Comment