Tuesday 26 June 2012

California Beach/Gyeongju World

Fairly quiet night - chicken in Gaksan with korean friends.  Lauren went home last week so was still hungover from Thursday night. 키위 막걸리 and 소맥 until 4 am do not a pretty Jono make.


Saturday - CALIFORNIA BEACH!  Got an express bus early in the morning to 경주 and then a cab from there.  There is a KTX station but it's miles outside of the town.  Presumably they run buses all the way out there but I don't think we saw one.  The water and theme parks are out near the big lake we went to see the Cherry Blossoms.
We'd tried booking cheap tickets online but they sold out.  Kinda surprising as it wasn't really that busy.  A bit cloudy but warm so maybe it was quieter than usual.  50k (about 30 pounds) got us entry to both the waterpark and theme park.  We did the waterpark first.  Shelley still had my swimshorts from the weekend before - gave me a little present.  I thought it was on purpose!  I returned them, although she later suggested them for the drag prom.


The Lazy River was one of my favourite, kinda wish you didn't need your life preserver the whole time.  Went on a couple slides and other things.  X-ride was good, waited about a half hour for it (annoyingly not many other people were waiting behind us so we always seemed near the back).  With 4 people you really fly up and down either side.  The Wipe Out was really good too - kinda like being sucked down a giant drain but with some fun twisty tube beforehand.  There were a couple super high fast water slides.  WARNING: Make sure you don't have any zips/metal bits on your swimshorts near your bum.  They won't let you on the slide!  I went back and changed into a spare pair, even that had a tiny metal eyelet circle on the pocket and he refused me in that.  I'd asked at the bottom of the stairs about it, and they'd said it was fine so I bothered the guy asking him in korean to give me scissors so I could cut them - he actually removed it himself, ripping a little hole in my pocket and then said I could go.  There was actually some applause from the watching Koreans!


Showing off our sexy life jackets
The best ride there was a pair of slides where you get into this vertical.. chamber.. They close the door, speak to you in Korean then the floor disappears and you drop vertically for a couple meters before sliding around and out really really fast.   Friends got to hit each others button (no pun intended) and a couple of the guys working there were purposefully playing tricks on people - "Are you ready?  5, 4 *hits button* 3, oops.."


Lastly, there was a big hot pool with massage jets.  There were people napping in there it was so lovely and warm. Now I've got the taste for water parks I wanna try Caribbean Bay in Seoul (biggest in the world).
  Gyeongju World was pretty good too.  The hanging rollercoaster was by far the best - short line so went on it a few times.  Went on a big spinning one as well - yelling in Korean things like "I don't want to die" and "I'm going to vomit".  The girls were shielding their faces whilst laughing!

No comments:

Post a Comment