Tuesday 18 October 2011

찜질방

Went to a public bathhouse on Sunday with my Korean friend Julian.  I expected the one near here to be kinda small and bad, but it was as good as the one in 안암 in Seoul.  Spent a while using the various hot rooms in the mixed bit, including the freezer room.  It was quite pleasant after the 65C room, until the sweat on the thin jjimjibang uniforms started to crystalize.. That was a sign to get out I think.

The actual bath bit was good, the idea is to scrub so hard that you remove a layer of skin in the process.  I was surprised how much muck and gunk came off my back after I'd decided I was perfectly clean.  Got the usual looks for being a foreigner.. mostly directed down south.  I also had the awkward moment of seeing one of my young students.  I think we both made the decision to not talk and just generally subtly avoid each other.  I guess Koreans take it as a given that they'll bump into their kids teachers, maybe the local priest, the guy from the cellphone shop, and anyone else from their neighbourhood at the local 찜질방.

My new gym regiment is kinda sticking.  I went yesterday alone for the first time.  Its easier making yourself go if someone else is too.  Will try and get in this weekend too, need to drink less so hangover doesn't stop me.  Anyway, I need to head in for a haircut, not sure where to go but will wander round till I find someplace I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment